Wednesday 8 August 2018

AN IRISH ROAD TRIP (GALWAY)


ORANMORE LODGE


Nestling in the village of Oranmore, close to the vibrant city of Galway and the magnificent Atlantic Way, sits the delightful Oranmore Lodge. This wonderful four star hotel, an original manor house built in 1850, offers fifty extremely comfortable and stylish guest rooms which are spread over three floors. The hotel conveniently provides free Wi Fi throughout and has ample free parking.

The choice of guest room is very impressive, ranging from Standard Rooms to Superior Rooms and Family or Interconnecting Rooms. The Standard Rooms are very well equipped, featuring a double bed, Egyptian towels and complimentary toiletries, a large en-suite bathroom, ironing facilities, direct dial telephone, hair dryer, multi channel television, tea/coffee making facilities and controlled heating. With a morning newspaper, and some rooms featuring a sofa, there is everything that the weary traveller could possibly want to make their stay perfect.

Needless to say, the higher grade rooms have all the excellent features of the Standard Rooms, plus that little bit extra. For example, Executive rooms, which are located in the original part of the hotel, are larger than Standard Rooms and feature a King size bed, leather sofa, a spacious seating area and feature fireplace. These luxurious rooms also benefit from a large 42inch LCD television, DVD player, bathrobes and slippers. Superior Rooms are very much aimed at the corporate guest and feature a work station with lamp. Choices of Family and Interconnecting Rooms consist of either a double bed with one single bed, a double bed with two single beds, or two double beds.



Leisure facilities at Oranmore Lodge are excellent, boasting. an impressive 17 metre indoor swimming pool, with a separate children's pool area. There are sauna and steam rooms, as well as a large jacuzzi and a well equipped gym. Guests can also take advantage of a choice of massages and health treatments or take part in fitness classes or swimming lessons.



 

 
 



There is no need for guests to go hungry at Oranmore Lodge as there is a fine choice of dinning options available. Barney's Bar is a great place to chill out, have a drink and a bite to eat, with the added bonus of live entertainment at weekends. The food menu is available from 2:30pm to 9pm. Butler's Bistro serves breakfast from 7:30am to 10am, as well as serving lunch. Dinner is served in the splendid Huntroom Restaurant, where diners can choose from the superb a la carte menu with a set priced two or three course meal.

Located just off the N6 approach into Galway, Oranmore Lodge is very easy to find. Its location, just one hour from Shannon Airport and two hours from Dublin Airport, makes even a flying visit an easy prospect. However, on this trip I was driving, having arrived in Belfast by ferry from Cairnryan in Scotland, and returning via Rosslare to Fishguard in Wales. This was to be my third hotel in as many nights on my Ireland road trip, and I was hopeful of a comfortable and relaxing stay. As it turned out, I was not to be disappointed.

As I turned off the main road and approached the hotel I prepared to park my car, and on doing so, not even the sudden rain shower could dampen my excitement on viewing Oranmore Lodge for the very first time. A beautiful, extensive building, covered in climbing ivy in parts, I just felt that this stay was going to be something special.





Carrying only my overnight bag, I made a desperate dash for reception, stopping only briefly to say hello to Lucy, a cat that has evidently decided to adopt Oranmore Lodge as her home. A cat with very good taste, obviously! Reception staff were very friendly and efficient, and in no time at all I was checked in and making my way up the characterful staircase to my room.



 

And what a room! Willow Suite which was to be my home for the night was a very large, tastefully decorated room with views over the car park and Spa. There was a large sitting area with a leather sofa and coffee table, coffee machine, tea making facilities and a fridge. The bed was large, and as I would later find out, very comfortable indeed. I had time to relax in my room with a cup of coffee before my dinner reservation at 7:30pm.
 


 
 



Dinner was served in the main restaurant and was of an extremely high quality. I chose the Chunky Irishman Seafood Chowder for my starter and Half Duck served with Stuffing and Orange Sauce for my main meal, although, I could easily have chosen any of the tempting dishes on the menu as it offered such good choice. Unfortunately, following my delicious and substantial main course I had very little room left for desert so, reluctantly, I declined. I must say though, the desert menu did look very enticing. I did, however, sample a glass of excellent Merlot with my meal.








Breakfast the next morning was served in the Bistro and consisted of a very comprehensive array of hot and cold food offerings, certainly something for everyone, no matter what your dietary needs may be. Having satisfied my morning hunger, I took advantage of the break in the weather to explore the exterior of the hotel, following which I spent some time chilling out in the spa area before checking out of my room at around midday.

This really was a most pleasant hotel for an overnight stay on my road trip. Given more time, I would without hesitation have happily stayed for longer, but due to the nature of this visit it was time for me to leave Oranmore Lodge and move on to my next destination. I drove away, in much better weather than when I had arrived, feeling very pleased that Oranmore Lodge had not only met my expectations, but exceeded them! 

Contact details for the hotel are: Email: info@oranmorelodge.ie Tel: +353 (0) 91794400

No comments:

Post a Comment