Tuesday 7 August 2018

AN IRISH ROAD TRIP


SAILING THE IRISH SEA WITH STENA LINE


Stena Line is a well known and respected shipping company who operate throughout Europe, carrying both freight and passengers. Routes from the UK include Denmark, The Netherlands, France and the Republic of Ireland. I have had the pleasure of sailing with Stena Line on many, many occasions, but, up until now, always on their North Sea crossings to the Netherlands, mostly from Harwich. Readers can view my review of the Stena Line Harwich to Hook of Holland route by following this link: https://independentworldtravelreviews.blogspot.com/2016/12/stenaline.html


This trip, however, would be my first experience of Stena Line on the Irish Sea, and would take me across the Irish Sea from Cairnryan in Scotland to Belfast in Northern Ireland. I would then spend seven days touring Northern and Southern Ireland, before returning from Rosslare in the Republic of Ireland to Fishguard in Wales.

The Outward Journey:




I have visited Scotland on a number of occasions and without fail it tends to rain, however, this visit was to be different. With the UK having basked in glorious sunshine for several weeks, my drive to the port of Cairnryan was a delightful, picturesque journey through some of Scotland's most beautiful countryside. On my approach to the port, I drove along the waterside, passing eye-catching, brightly painted cottages.



Arriving at the port at around 14:15, I drove directly to check-in which proved to be very quick and efficient, no need for passports here! Once on board, I made a note of which car deck I was on and which stairs I would need to use to return to my car when we arrive in Belfast. We set sail at 15:30 and I spent the first hour of the crossing exploring the ship, luckily the weather was glorious and the sea was calm which meant I, and several other passengers, could take advantage of the large outside deck areas.


I was sailing on the Stena Superfast Vll, which at 203 metres long, 30 metres wide, and weighing 30,285 tons, is one of the biggest ferries ever to sail between Scotland and Northern Ireland. Sharing the route with its sister ship, the Stena Superfast Vlll, there is a choice of six sailings a day. The ferry, which was built in 1987, with refits in 2001 and 2011, can carry a maximum of 660 vehicles and 1,300 passengers, at a top speed of 23 knots.

These ferries are not only impressive when it comes to size and speed, but also with the range of facilities onboard that successfully cater for all ages. There is literally everything you could think of to meet the traveller's every need and ensure a comfortable, hassle free, relaxing journey.

Taste Restaurant is the place to go to for a delicious and satisfying meal, here you will find a good range of food and drink options, all at reasonable prices. For those in need of a real cup of coffee, I suggest heading for Barista Coffee where you can relax with one of the best cups of coffee I have ever had at sea!





For those travellers looking for a little peace and quite and somewhere to chill out and rest, there are a few options. The Hygge Lounge (a Danish word meaning enjoying life) offers a very peaceful and relaxing environment with 36 very comfortable chairs. The lounge features large windows, offering good views, soft lighting for evening crossings, and a large muted and subtitled television screen. Entrance to the lounge costs from £5 per person.


The Stena Plus Lounge also offers very comfortable seating in a relaxed environment and has the added benefit of complimentary food and drinks, as well as newspapers and magazines. Entrance to the Stena Plus Lounge starts at £16.


For the ultimate in peace and relaxation, why not book yourself a Superfast Suite? These rooms, from just £25 a crossing, can accommodate up to five people and features a double bed, en-suite shower, comfortable seating and a work desk. There is also tea and coffee making facilities and complimentary bottled water.

 
 
Other than resting or eating, you may of course wish to indulge in a little retail therapy, browsing the ship's well stocked onboard shop. For therapy of another kind, how about spending time in the Nordic Spa? Here you will find a Jacuzzi, as well as both male and female saunas. There are also a number of treatments on offer in the massage/treatment rooms. However you choose to spend your time onboard, I am sure, like me, you will arrive in Belfast relaxed and ready for your onward journey.

Arriving in Belfast at around 18:00, my onward journey was a very short one as I was staying overnight in Belfast City, prior to embarking on my road trip the following day. From Belfast I travelled down the west coast, staying overnight in Letterkenny, Galway, Gort, Limerick, Cork and Wexford. Favourite hotels along the way have to be The Oranmore Lodge Hotel Galway: www.oranmorelodge.ie Number 1 Pery Square Limerick: www.oneperysquare.com and the wonderful Ferrycarrig Hotel near Wexford: https://www.ferrycarrighotel.ie The Ferrycarrig Hotel with its excellent spa was the perfect location to end my Irish road trip, allowing me a little relaxation time before catching my ferry back to the UK

The Return Journey:




Having had a very restful stay at the Ferrycarrig Hotel, I spent some time exploring the Wexford area before making my way to Rosslare. I arrived at Rosslare late afternoon, allowing me plenty of time before embarking on the 18:10 sailing onboard the Stena Europe.


At 149 metres long and having a capacity of 564 vehicles and 1,386 passengers, Stena Europe is a little smaller than the ferries operating on the Cairnryan to Belfast route, but still big on facilities, and a very impressive ship. Stena Europe was built in 1981 with refits in 1995 and 2002.

With the Metropolitan Grill Restaurant for all gastronomy needs, Barista Coffee House and Stena Plus Lounge, gift shop, free cinema, and a choice of 1, 2 or 4 berth cabins to relax in, travellers will not be disappointed with the standard of amenities onboard. There are just two crossings daily on this route and the crossing takes just over three hours.



On this sailing we were due to arrive in Fishguard at 21:25 which meant I had plenty of time to both explore the ship and still have time to relax and have a meal. I decided to spend time in the Stena Plus Lounge and ordered a meal from the hot food menu, although there is an excellent choice of complimentary snacks and drinks available in the lounge. Hot meals ordered from the menu come at an additional cost. I opted for the Lasagne and salad which was very tasty and substantial, and at only £10, very good value for money.


We arrived in Fishguard a little late at around 22:00, I then had a short drive to my overnight stay at Haverfordwest in Wales.

I can highly recommend Stena Line as a means of crossing the Irish Sea, the routes I travelled on were perfect for my needs and provided the ideal way to visit Ireland from mainland UK.

For more information on these and other crossings please visit the Stena Line website at: www.stenaline.co.uk/ferries-to-ireland

No comments:

Post a Comment